Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Chicken Enchiladas


I really like foods with a Mexican flair to them…I think this has a lot to do with growing up in Oklahoma and my mom’s love for Mexican foods. This recipe is one of my personal favorites. I originally wanted it to be a Cooking For 2 recipe, but there’s no way to make any less than the amount I have here since all the cans of things I used were at their smallest amounts. This recipe was really too much for only the two of us, but they are well liked around here so I’m sure we wont mind eating on them for the next few days.

This recipe makes 8 large enchiladas.

Ingredients
3 chicken boneless frozen chicken breasts
Water for boiling chicken
1 medium or large onion (optional)
1 10oz. can tomatoes w/ green chilies
1 4oz. can chopped green chilies
1 10oz. can cream of chicken soup
24 oz. sour cream
8 oz. cheese shredded
½ cup chicken broth
8 large Flour tortillas

Directions
1. In a good size pot place the chicken breasts and cover with water. Bring to a boil on the stove. Turn down to low heat and set a 30 minute timer.
2. While the chicken is cooking go ahead and dice your onion. Start cooking it in a skillet on the stove over low heat (2-3). Once the chicken timer goes off or when the onions are almost all the way done cooking add in the tomatoes and the chopped green chilies. Cover with a lid and turn heat up to medium (4-5).
3. After the chicken timer goes off, check each piece of chicken to make sure it is white all the way through. If it is set it out to cool so it can be shredded. If not put it back in the water and cook 10 minutes more.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Once the onions are completely cooked and the tomatoes & green chilies are hot, take the lid off and let them cook down a little more while you prepare the next step. Turn the stove heat down if needed.
6. Shred the chicken and put it in a bowl large enough to mix all the insides of the enchiladas.
7. I don’t like the chicken chunks in cream of chicken soup so I dig those out of the soup. Put the soup in the chicken bowl. Add  in cooked onions, ½ of the sour cream, ½ the shredded cheese, and chicken broth. Mix everything together really well.

{Step 8}

8. For each large tortilla put 3 good size spoonfuls of the mixture. Spread as evenly as possible across the surface of each tortilla. Roll and place in a greased baking dish (it should be bigger than 9x13 or they won’t fit correctly).
9. Cover the rolled enchiladas with the remaining half of the sour cream and the cheese. Place in the oven for 30 minutes. Just long enough to melt the cheese, and warm the insides of each enchilada.
10. Remove from the oven and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.