Friday, August 31, 2012

Whole Wheat Bread

This recipe is almost completely healthy. The only unhealthy thing in it is the butter. Salt is added because I've found this recipe tastes better with salt, but you can always take that ingredient out. This bread is delicious, healthy, and perfect as sandwich bread or a side to a meal.

My loaves would've been taller except I accidentally set a pan on top
of them after they finished rising and knocked down the risen loaves. 
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup of butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 Tablespoons wheat gluten (optional)
9 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups of warm water
2 Tablespoons of yeast
Flour for surface


Directions

1. In a microwave safe bowl put 1 1/2 cups water and butter. Microwave for 1 minute.
2. In a liquid measuring cup pour the yeast and 2 cups of warm water. Set aside.
3. Stir salt, egg, wheat gluten, and two cups of flour into the microwaved mixture.
4. Add yeast mixture to cooled butter mixture.
5. Mix in 2 cups of flour at a time. Remember you have already added two cups.
6. Divide the dough into two bowls. Set in a warm place to rise for 2 hours.
7. Divide the risen dough into four sections. Try to make them as even as possible.
8. On a floured surface roll out one section of dough at a time into a rectangle shape (don't worry about the shape being perfect).
9. Roll the dough up like you would if you were making cinnamon rolls.
10. Place in a greased bread pan.
11. Repeat steps 8-10 for the remaining three loaves.
12. Set the loaves in a warm dry place and cover them with a cloth or paper towel. Let them rise for 2 hours (yes it has to be two hours. Wheat flour takes longer to rise than white flour).
13. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees when the dough has filled the pan.
14. Bake the loaves for 20-25 minutes.
15. Let the loaves cool completely before putting them away. The loaves can be stored in a Ziploc and put in the freezer for future use.


Notes

~I was very surprised at how light these loaves were. I knew the white bread was good, but this is amazing!
~I really think the gluten made this recipe! I definitely suggest using it if you are going to attempt this recipe. I will try a batch without it and post the results in the future, but for now I suggest using it!
~I used "one loaf" worth of dough and made 12 delicious dinner rolls. Basically just roll out the dough and then cut it into 12 5 inch pieces. Roll each one up and plop it into a greased muffin tin. Let it rise for 30 minutes and then bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. The bread looks yummy! Do you by chance know what the calorie count is?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm no I don't...I think there is a website somewhere where you can enter ingredients from a recipe and get all the info like calories, carbs, fats, etc. I will try and look for it and see if I can find it.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.