Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Italian Style Chicken Alfredo Pizza

Awhile back Autry and I went to Pizza Hut. He found this pizza which had chicken and alfredo sauce with cheese. I was leery of it, but eventually I tried a bite... I was in love! This is now my favorite pizza (other than top favorite of just cheese with cheese stuffed crust).

When I got home I immediately looked on Pinterest for a similar recipe to have on hand for when I decided to make pizza. I wanted it to be a surprise for Autry as well since I know he really liked it a lot. I found what I was looking for over at Blissful & Domestic.

Today I decided that dinner was going to be pizza. I didn't remember about this recipe though until I looked in the freezer and saw chicken. I went back through all my food boards on Pinterest searching for the recipe since I didn't remember where I had found it. Now I am making this delicious looking pizza for dinner! Can't wait to try my homemade version!

The pizza was so delicious! Autry even said it was better than Pizza Hut! Yay! This recipe is a keeper, and I told Autry that when we get married we will have to do a homemade pizza night once a week. He likes the idea.


This recipe makes one 16" pizza, extra sauce for dipping, and some breadsticks.

The Order To Make This
1. In the morning start the chicken.
2. About three hours before dinner start the pizza dough.
3. Once the dough goes in the oven start the sauce.
4. Shred the cooked chicken.
5. Put the pizza together.
6. Add the extra broth to the sauce to make it perfect for dipping.
7. Serve the finished product!

Ingredients for cooking the chicken
4 chicken breasts
5 cups of chicken broth (I used turkey broth, but chicken broth is best)
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 Tablespoons olive oil

1. Put all of the above ingredients in the crockpot and cook on high for 2 hours, and then low for 2 hours. I did this for my chicken which was frozen.


2. When the chicken is finished cooking it should be falling apart when you try to pick it up.

Ingredients for the crust
(you can use store-bought, but I like to make my own)

2 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons yeast, quick rising
3 cups flour
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2cup oil
2-3 cups flour
Non-stick cooking spray
2-4 Tablespoons yellow cornmeal
Olive oil

1. Mix together the yeast and water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. In a bowl put the 3 cups of flour, Italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese. Add the water/yeast mix and the oil. Mix everything together well.
3. Stir in 2 cups of flour to the dough. If it needs more add more, I only used 2 though.
4. Cover the bowl and let it set for 45 minutes.
5. Flour your surface. Make sure to cover a large area, especially if you are doing a 16" pizza!
6. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.


7. Roll the dough out in a huge, circular shape.
8. Spray your pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray.


9. Sprinkle cornmeal over the cooking spray. Rub around to coat the pan evenly.
10. Put the rolled out dough onto the pizza pan. Make sure there are no tears/breaks in the dough. If there are mash the dough together so it will hold better.
11. If you are doing a stuffed crust then have cheese ready.
12. Cut any dough that is hanging over the edge of the pan and set aside. I cut mine a little bit away from the edge of the pan (less than 1 inch) but it was almost too much for a crust.


13. Roll the dough edges in (and use cheese for stuffed crust).


14. Quickly pour olive oil over the pizza. Use a brush to spread the oil. Pour a little more and coat the crust edges.
15. Bake the crust in the oven for 15 minutes. If it's not quite done then cook another five minutes.
16. Your crust is ready for sauce and toppings!

Pizza Dough Notes
~If you have any remaining dough you can divide it into small portions and roll out into long bread sticks. They baked in the 425 degree oven in about 8 minutes for me and were delicious in the extra sauce.

Ingredients for Alfredo Sauce
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 stick butter
1Tablespoons olive oil
1 cups milk
1 cups broth from the cooked chicken
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon white flour
1/2 cup of broth set aside for later

1. In a saucepan put the parmesan cheese, butter, olive oil, milk, chicken broth, and onion powder.
2. Turn the mix to medium-high and stir until the butter melts.
3. Bring the mix to a boil. Watch it closely since this happens pretty fast after the butter melts.
4. Turn the heat way down and add in the flour. I added mine a little at a time so that I wouldn't get too much. This is a pretty medium creamy sauce. It needs to be so that it won't be too runny on the pizzas.
5. Remove from heat and set aside until the pizza crusts are ready.

Alfredo Sauce Notes
~After you pour most of the sauce on the baked pizza crust, return the pan to the stove and add the 1/2 cup of extra broth. This makes the sauce lighter so you can use it for dipping bread sticks or pizza.

Other ingredients
1 8oz. packages pre-shredded Italian blend cheese
Parmesan cheese for the top

Put The Pizza Together
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees (if you didn't leave it on from making the crusts).


2. On the baked pizza crusts most of the alfredo sauce. Leave about 1 1/2 cups worth for dipping the pizza and bread sticks.


3. Cover with the shredded chicken.
4. Sprinkle well with Parmesan cheese.


5. Cover with the shredded cheese blend.
6. Bake the pizza's in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the cheese on top melts.


7. Serve hot with breadsticks.

Final Notes
~I am choosing not to use tomatoes due to the amount of people in the family who dislike tomatoes, but they can be added if you so choose.
~Other toppings you may like: canned mushrooms, fresh spinach, tomatoes, fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.